Wednesday, July 2, 2014

Home sweet home!

26 days, 16 states, 4,813 miles

It was an incredible adventure. We saw so many things that it's hard to keep track of them all. One of the best parts for Jim and I was the time spent as a family and exploring the tucked away gems across the country. I love the small towns and wacky sites while he loves the driving (he drove all 4,813 miles) and the vast open country without a sign of civilization. I love to navigate and follow along on the maps. Our favorite map question, "I wonder what that is?" And then we go find it. Our goals were to take the girls to visit the great grandmothers and to show them how big our country really is. It was fun to see them process when Jim told them that all the squares and colors they see out the airplane window are the farms we drove through in the middle of the country! 

We asked them about their favorite parts...
Samantha liked Hershey, the water park, and the time with her cousins. One of her favorite stops was the time at the cabin in the mountains in Pennsylvania. She also liked the big storm in Kansas. Intense lightning like that leaves an impression! Ali liked the green slide best (at the water park in Iowa). Ali loves water. She would count down until we got to the hotel each night and she could get into the pool. I think by day 25 they had forgotten about the salt mine! As we settle back in at home and look through pictures and share our travels with friends, I know they will bring up more and more of the fun times. It's hard to pick just a few things from 26 days packed with adventure. Regardless, their favorite stop is still the service area in Ohio where they got their new "stuffies". 

When we asked them what they didn't like, Samantha didn't have much to say. After a bit of thought, Ali said, "When mom wouldn't let us watch a movie in the car. It was just corn!" 

The girls are great travelers. They are usually easy to entertain and got along pretty well for sisters strapped next to each other in the back seat for almost 5,000 miles. They are definitely related to Jim and I and have embraced our love of adventure and exploration. They have also grown to appreciate where we live and loved coming home. 

We know it was a great trip- Jim and I sat with a US map at the dining room table after the girls went to bed last night. We already have ideas about where we will go next summer! Stay tuned....

No comments:

Post a Comment